Student council amends policy violations bylaw

The Associated Students of Madison student council modified its bylaws and appointed new members to its grass-roots committees in a meeting Sunday.

The council passed an amendment to its policy violation bylaw, which now states that if an individual in a student organization unintentionally commits a policy error, the group as a whole would not be punished.

This follows a recent Student Services Finance Committee decision to freeze the Multicultural Student Coalition’s funding due to intentional policy violations in failing to follow university and state purchasing policies.

After MCSC funds were frozen it remained unclear if the group’s infraction of policy resulted from individual error or an organization-wide failure.

The amended bylaw gives SSFC the ability to make a distinction between individual and group actions.

Also at the meeting, former SSFC chair Sarah Neibart resigned from her position as a council representative to become ASM Chief of Staff.

The Chief of Staff assists the ASM chair in meetings and acts as a resource for council members regarding ASM policies and procedures.

Neibart said she believes somebody else should have the opportunity to serve on the committee.

“I think that it will be a very good role that I’ve never had in this organization,” Neibart said, addressing the student council. “I am really excited to give you all the resources I’ve learned, and to help you succeed in whatever you choose to.”

Neibart resigned because the chief of staff cannot serve as a representative on student council.

Sunday’s meeting was the council’s last before summer session.