Officials limit moped parking on campus

Starting next fall, moped users will only be able to park in designated campus lots, and moped permit prices will increase.

UW Transportation Services is creating 74 designated parking lots where moped users with permits can park. Moped drivers will only be able to park in the lot assigned to them.

Moped users select their assigned lots on a first-come, first-serve basis, but drivers living on campus can have priority of moped lots near residence halls. There will also be several lots where anyone with a moped permit can park, and all lots are open to moped users after 4:30 p.m. each day.

In addition, moped permits will increase from $85 to $120 for the 2012-2013 school year.

Transportation officials say designating lots will allow moped users to know exactly where they are parking and will decrease the amount of moped traffic on campus.

However, UW-Madison freshman and moped user Danny Riskey said the new rules are “ridiculous” and there is “no point” in having a moped if you cannot use it between classes.

“If I can’t take [my moped] from my apartment and park it right in front of Van Hise...or in the lot I want to, than I obviously am not going to [have a moped permit],” Riskey said.

Riskey uses his moped daily between classes but will not be renewing his permit because of the changes.

After students criticized the new rules via Twitter, UW-Madison acknowledged their concerns and directed them to contact UW Transportation Services for more information.