Daniel Lester

Junior Daniel Lester competed in the fly and individual medley for the Wisconsin men’s swimming team. He now takes his talent to the international level, racing for Australia.

Men's Swimming: Wisconsin swimmer to compete for Australia

Junior Daniel Lester already claimed a silver medal in international competition this year. The Brisbane, Australia native will have another shot to medal at the 2012 Oceania Swimming Championships in Noumea, New Caledonia.

Lester will represent his native country at the competition, set to begin May 28 and run through June 2.

“It’s an incredible honor,” Lester said about competing at the Oceania Swimming Championships. “To compete for my country and to get another chance to wear the green and gold is very exciting for me.”

Lester earned All-Big Ten Second Team honors in 2011-’12. He also set two school records at the Big Ten Championships in the 800 meter free relay (6:26.07) and 100 meter fly (46.07).

Lester finished in second place and earned the silver medal in the 50 meter fly at the Australian Championships in March, his last international appearance for Australia.

Behind the Olympics, the Oceania Swimming Championships is highest level of competition that Australia participates in.

“It’s a really big deal,” Badger head coach Whitney Hite said. “We’re all really proud that he made the team and this gives him a chance to really end his season on a high note. We like to see that our swimmers are not only doing really great things for this university, but also for their countries.”

“I swam very well in the Australian Championships and I am very confident that I can do the same in New Caledonia,” Lester said.

UWBadgers.com contributed to this report.