market 04202012

The Dane County Farmers’ Market will continue its tradition of showcasing Wisconsin’s top source of locally made products when it opens Saturday.

Farmers’ Market opens Saturday featuring five new vendors

When the Dane County Farmers’ Market opens for the season Saturday, it will welcome about 150 vendors, including five new ones, to the Capitol Square.

Four of the vendors sell products from plants to fruits and vegetables, while one produces organic crackers. They join the Saturday tradition that showcases some of Wisconsin’s top sources of organic and local products from cheese curds to baked goods.

Nancy Potter and her son Peter own Potter’s Crackers. Although her business has been met with “wonderful” local support, Potter said being at the Farmers’ Market could help her crackers reach new audiences as well as give her the chance to meet local suppliers.

“Whatever I can bring closer to home, the better,” said Potter.

All of the products sold at the farmers’ market are produced in-state, according to manager Larry Johnson. Only vendors from Wisconsin who make and sell their own products are allowed at the market, and some travel from as far away as Eau Claire or Door County to sell their goods.

The market is open from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. starting April 21 and continuing every Saturday through early November.

The summer market is the “largest producer-only farmers market in the nation,” according to Johnson.

Because of the proximity to campus, many students attend the market to browse, taste-test, and purchase from the wide variety of produce and flowers.

Morgan Rehberg, a freshman at UW-Madison said the Farmers’ Market is a different experience than shopping at a grocery store.

“It’s bringing…the small town thing into a city,” she said. “I like how they kind of meet together.”

The market seeks to “unite the urban and rural cultures” and give farmers and buyers a centralized place to interact and get to know one another, according to its website.

Potter also mentioned the strong sense of camaraderie she finds at farmers’ markets. From her experience vending at another Madison market located near the Hilldale Shopping Center, she said “you really develop a relationship with those vendor neighbors.”

“I’m looking forward to meeting a whole new crowd,” she said.