SSFC

SSFC Rep. Cale Plamann said Monday he hopes MCSC does not harm its direct services by taking money away from them.

Committee alters MCSC’s budget

The Student Services Finance Committee altered the Multicultural Student Coalition’s budget Monday, after the group did not receive funding eligibility for the next fiscal year last fall.

In order to prepare for a year where the group could potentially not receive funding from student segregated fees, the group requested to transfer funds from remaining programs and events for this year to professional training programs for members.

The group is currently appealing SSFC’s decision to deny it eligibility to Chancellor David Ward.

MCSC executive Althea Miller said the transfer is important to foster constructive relationships between MCSC and student government.

“[MCSC has] alums who are really knowledgeable about ASM and SSFC,” Miller said.  “Things those alumni have done in the past have helped them avoid some of the encounters we’ve seen with MCSC and ASM in the past year.”

In the original alteration, MCSC requested $24,000 for training, which SSFC members felt was too large of a request.  SSFC members agreed on lowering the alteration following a proposed amendment from Rep. Cale Plamann.

Plamann said he was hesitant to move any money away from programs that would provide direct services to students.

Groups have to spend at least half of their time directly serving students, and Plamann said the events and programs being defunded could have helped the group to reach the requirement to receive funding last year.

“I don’t want anything that was considered direct service time to have money taken away from it for budget items that have questionable direct services,” Plamann said.

Rep. Tia Nowack showed support for the budget alteration.

“I think it’s important to remember that MCSC will not have any money next year if their appeal to the Chancellor does not go through,” Nowack said.

“It’s our responsibility to make sure they have the resources to function.”