Common Council 04112012

Ald. Marsha Rummel, District 6, recognized the Occupy Madison encampment as a model the city of Madison can use to implement efforts to combat poverty and homelessness.

City recognizes merits of Occupy Madison encampment

City officials recognized the Occupy Madison movement as a model and resource the city can use in its efforts to combat poverty and homelessness in Madison.

While the Occupy Madison movement began as a political protest, it has since evolved into a low-cost, self-sustaining community where the city’s homeless use tents as shelter, according to Occupy Madison participant Bill Keys.

Occupy Madison began as a grassroots movement protesting the growing divide between the rich and poor. The site relocated to the former Don Miller auto dealership on the 800 block of East Washington Avenue after the city decided not to re-issue a permit for their previous location near the Capitol.

“Occupy Madison has grown into a valuable resource that can provide a model for how our city can respond to poverty and homelessness in a time of severe budget cuts,” according to the resolution.

Ald. Marsha Rummel, District 6, called Occupy Madison “a creative response to the growing poverty and homelessness caused by the economic crisis.”

However, some council members felt the resolution highlighted shortcomings in the city’s treatment of homelessness. Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, questioned the city’s efficiency in addressing the issue.

“I don’t think a parking lot with tents…is how we can best serve these folks,” Maniaci said.

Resident of the Occupy Madison site Dave Peters said the community provides “people a chance to buy time so they can…get themselves on their feet.”

But unless the city provides funding or an alternate location, the Occupy Madison site cannot remain at its current location on East Washington Avenue after April 30.

“We are part of a social experiment, a very broad experiment, that needs a chance to function and we need time,” Peters said. “If this place closes...we won’t have a chance to prove anything.”

City grants demolition permit

Madison’s common council unanimously approved a permit to demolish the former Don Miller Auto property on East Washington Avenue to make way for a 12-story multi-use building.

Gebhardt Development’s proposal for 754 E. Washington Ave. and 741 E. Mifflin St. includes a four-story above ground parking ramp, 215 apartment units, bike parking and a simple and clean design, according to owner Otto Gebhardt.

The Planning Commission supported the project at a meeting Monday and members commended the developer for what they called a solid proposal.

“This could be a catalyst and actually could be quite transformative for the neighborhood,” commission member Michael Rewey said. 

—Abby Becker