Local charm on display

For someone who uses “Madison has such a great art scene!” in conversation on a regular basis, I realize I have been slacking in exploring all the city has to offer this semester. My spring art experiences so far include film, music and a few trips to the Chazen, but my knowledge of local art could definitely use a boost. This is precisely why I am looking forward to the Overture Center’s upcoming Madison Area Open Art Studios Preview Exhibition, which presents a perfect opportunity to explore hundreds of pieces of local art in one place.

The exhibit begins March 12 and will feature diverse work from local artists for three weeks in the galleries of the Overture Center. The media on display will include ceramics, photography, watercolor and jewelry, to name a few of many.

This gallery event is considered a preview because it leads up to a weekend where the featured artists open their studios to the public. On Sat. March 31 and Sun. April 1, people can follow mapped trails throughout the Madison area to actually go into studios or designated public places to witness the behind-the-scenes aspect of creation.

The three-week preview exhibit will offer viewers the chance to scout out pieces they find intriguing before attending artists’ studio sessions, held between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. on the tour weekend.

This annual event provides a win-win-win situation for spectators: view a local collection of art in beautiful Overture Center galleries, explore Madison while getting a unique studio experience or do both. The exhibit is also broke-college-student friendly because it is free.

According to the MAOAS website, “Over the past eight years, Open Studios has grown from a small event with 30 artists opening their studios to a festival that fills three floors of the downtown Madison Overture Center and exposes the community to over 130 artists in Greater Madison.”

The directories containing the maps for Open Art Studios weekend will be available at the Overture Center near the time of the event, so don’t fear getting lost amidst the art. The information in this article about the preview exhibit and more can be found on The Overture Center’s website and the details about the studio weekend, including the list of artists, can be found at http://maoas.com/dev/drupal/about.