Letter: Restore liberty, support Ron Paul

On April 3, Wisconsin will have its presidential primaries. The Democrats will elect President Obama as their candidate. Now there are currently four Republican presidential candidates. ?What the United States needs now is someone who can reign in some of the more troublesome aspects of our government. That man is Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas.

?Republican or Democrat there is no one more committed to peace than Dr. Paul. While Obama conducts secret drone warfare across the world, Dr. Paul is committed to ending all foreign wars. Why does Dr. Paul have more active military donations than all the other candidates, including Obama, combined? While the war drums beat against Iran, Dr. Paul emphasizes opening trade, so Iranian citizens know that America is not against them, but their government. Obama and the other republican presidential candidates are more isolationist by restricting trade and not engaging in diplomacy. Obama promised ending the war in Iraq, but when the Bush negotiated deadline to pull out our troops loomed on the horizon, Obama tried to negotiate to extend it and keep them there. Obama extended the PATRIOT Act which has severely curtailed citizen’s 4th amendment rights, while Dr. Paul will repeal it. For voters of peace and liberty, Dr. Paul is the only choice.

?Dr. Paul’s “Plan to Restore America” by cutting a trillion dollars in one year can be worrisome for some people. The cuts however target unconstitutional bureaucracy and militarism while maintaining some entitlement programs. Dr. Paul’s plan will “returning responsibility for security to private property owners, abolishing corporate subsidies, stopping foreign aid, ending foreign wars, and returning most other spending to 2006 levels.”

?Dr. Paul’s cuts will end foreign wars, restrict bureaucracy that has overstepped its constitutional bounds and eliminate corporate subsidies. Dr. Paul fights for peace and a return to our constitution.

Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., has released a plan that increases the debt and balances the budget in 30 years. Only Dr. Paul’s plant to block grant Medicaid to the states and the ending of foreign wars will balance the budget in three years, all while reducing taxes.

?So, in this election, I want all Wisconsin voters to think about the last decade, the wars, the men and women killed in war, the wiretaps, drones coming to the United States, debt that will crush us, the trade restrictions that will crush others, the escalation of the War on Drugs. Think about that status quo, and ask if you are willing to live with it.

?Dr. Paul will end that status quo. He will bring the troops home. He will bring back fiscal reality to D.C. Republicans have no more obvious choice, and neither do Democrats. Wisconsin voters should look into the policies proposed by the current presidential candidates and find the true defender of liberty and peace, Ron Paul.