LAPD launches investigation of Chadima case

The Los Angeles Police Department has started a criminal investigation into the allegations that John Chadima, former UW-Madison Senior Associate Athletic Director, sexually assaulted a student Athletic Department employee while in a Los Angeles hotel during the Rose Bowl Weekend.

The LAPD initially stated they would not conduct a formal investigation into the incident. However, the department confirmed Friday that a criminal investigation is in the works, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

The student accused Chadima of grabbing his crotch after an employee party on Dec. 31, according to the UW-Madison report investigating the claim.

Chadima was suspended shortly after the incident and eventually resigned.

Two men leveled their own sexual misconduct allegations against Chadima, after the report’s release on January 23.

One, from a former student and Athletic Department employee, accused Chadima of continual physical and verbal sexual misconduct that began during a bowl game trip and continued in Madison in the 2000’s.

A former football player also accused Chadima of making suggestive sexual comments and also bringing him to his house against his will after providing drinks in the football team’s locker room when the player visited Madison for a football game in 2010.

The university investigated the most recent accusations in a second report released March 16, and has since ordered an internal review of campus alcohol policies.

At this time, the LAPD has not released a timetable for their investigation. The UW-Madison Police Department is currently conducting their own investigation into all three allegations.