From concepts to cameras, Hollywood Badgers do it all

Student Org Spotlight

A UW-Madison student organization dedicated to uniting students interested in filmmaking and helping them prepare for careers in the entertainment industry will screen its original, student-produced film, “The Plunge”, this weekend.

The UW Hollywood Badgers meet each week with the goal of supplementing students’ film educations by adding real-world focus. By helping students with networking, pitching projects and resumes, the organization gives students the ability to find jobs in the industry.

“I think it serves a niche at the university...and provides more of a realist touch with the industry,” UWHB Marketing and Events Coordinator Brendan Wolf said.

Developing “The Plunge,” a 30-minute film, has been a major focus of the organization for most of the year.

Directed by UW-Madison student William Dickinson—credited as W. E. Halamka, his pseudonym—the film chronicles the emotional reunion of two estranged brothers forced to live together in Madison.

Roughly 35 students participated in the process, making the movie UWHB’s largest project ever.

UWHB President Chase Ellman said “The Plunge” is a prime example of the group’s ambition to turn educational interaction into real experience. The club hopes to pursue similar projects in the future.

“That’s something to take away from this,” Ellman said. “For a student film, here’s this great 30-minute movie, but at the same time, here’s 35 students who learned something, who are furthering their careers, who are making something of their time here that’s going to be memorable.”

The UW Hollywood Badgers will show their film Saturday at 3 p.m. in Cinematheque, Vilas 4070.  A Q-and-A session with the filmmakers will follow the free screening.