County urges caution in celebrating St. Patrick’s Day

Madison residents can look forward to a number of events and an increased police presence throughout town Saturday, March 17 in honor of St. Patrick’s Day.

Officially starting at 10 a.m., the Shamrock Shuffle 5K, 10K and 2-mile walk will take place on State Street. Presented this year by Wells Fargo and Dental Health Associates, the Shuffle’s proceeds are donated to the Boys & Girls Club of Madison.

Continuing their annual tradition, the Dane County Shamrock Club will raise the Irish flag in the Capitol Rotunda at noon.

While the official St. Patrick’s Day Parade begins in Capitol Square at 1:30 p.m., the Parade Committee will host contests such as “Most Freckles” and “Reddest Hair” at the corner of Wisconsin Avenue and East Mifflin Street beginning at 1 p.m.

The 9th Annual Budweiser St. Patty’s Pub Crawl begins at 6 at the Stadium Bar. Additional law enforcement units will be deployed throughout the county on Saturday.

The Dane County Sheriff’s Office urged people to use their best judgment in commemorating St. Patrick’s Day in a statement issued Thursday.

“The best way to avoid trouble this St. Patrick’s Day is to celebrate responsibly,” public information officer Elise Schaffer said in a statement.  “So before you toast, make sure you have a safe ride home.”