Camp Randall athletic center closer to construction after city approves final phases

A $76.8 million project enhancing Camp Randall’s academic and training facilities for student athletes is closer to construction after the Urban Design Commission approved the final phases of the project.

The first phase, which began in January, is replacing Camp Randall’s turf and creating an access tunnel from the McClain Center to Camp Randall.

The second and third phases of the proposal include plans to replace the roof, renovate the McClain Athletic Facility and build a three-story structure at the north end of Camp Randall to house student-athlete academic facilities and a conditioning center. The plan will also create a bike path from Breese Terrace to the Camp Randall arch.

While some nearby residents are concerned with construction noise and light pollution, Regent Neighborhood Association President John Schlaefer said “the university has done a very good job of using the design to address neighborhood concerns.”

The Plan Commission will review the proposal before construction can begin in July.