Observing the world with rose-colored glasses

I was told recently that my past columns have been “complain-y,” and while it sucks to hear that you sound like a sore loser, I am going to take the criticism and run with it. This time around, I am going for a spin on the happy side and we will see what happens.

I have noticed that it actually is the small things in life that make me the happiest (cliché, I know, but it is only the first of this column). Recently, a random stranger on the street shot me a smile, and another day I was given a free cup of coffee at Starbucks because their machines were down. It is happenstances like these—the stuff I sometimes pass off as run of the mill—that make me happy.

You see, while the things you work hard and plan for definitely come with a sense of reward once they are achieved, that happiness quickly passes once you realize you have to get right back to work and accomplish your next goal. Perhaps this is the plight of an over-achiever, but I take more enjoyment out of seeing random, unsolicited loveliness.

For instance, while crossing Linden at Babcock the other day, I witnessed two people run toward each other and meet in the middle of the street. Was this love at first sight I was witnessing, or maybe some kind of unorthodox attack? Before I could analyze further, the pair engaged in some sort of awkward but awesomely complicated hand-foot shake (I would try to explain it, but there is no way I can do it justice).

Seconds later, the two parted ways, and as haphazardly as it had started, the encounter ended. And while I am sure the moment was great for these two people’s friendship, their over-the-top handshake, unbeknownst to them, had just made my day.

Little events like that one mean a lot to me. I often catch myself geeking out with a huge smile on my face whenever I see people do something out of the ordinary. This sometimes leads to people looking at me with an expression that implies, “What the hell is her problem? Did anyone invite her to get in on this moment? No.” Still, I do not mind if people think I am crazy: The point is that it does not take much to make me smile, and if others conduct genuine moments of fun or goodness, I am going to bum a few giggles off of it.

This frequently happens during my dutiful browsing of the UW-Memes page when I catch a meme that is actually funny or when I hear a rap lyric that is surprisingly hilarious (ex. “I be going ham / Shorty upgrade from bologna” from Roscoe Dash’s “No Hands”). I get a sort of odd, fuzzy feeling (Roscoe would probably be disgusted) indicative of minor moments of glee. The truth is, as routine as the world may seem on a day-to-day basis, people—rappers and otherwise—are still full of culture, wit, charm, cleverness and brilliance. Somehow, though, this always surprises me. It is like when you find a new band, listen to just one song on their album but immediately know it going to be your favorite: You are so excited and happy to be part of the world.

This happened to me when I was 10. While innocently jamming to the Buggles’ “Video Killed the Radio Star,” I suddenly began to cry. It was brilliant! Listening to it now while I am writing, I cannot quite remember why, but the truth remains that I am emotionally moved rather easily and by anything, and I think everyone else should be as well.

At the most basic level, this is about appreciating your day being brightened by small acts, things that are hard to recognize when it all gets muddled up with the everyday chaos. I try to stop and smell the roses occasionally (here is cliché number two) just to ensure I am not missing too much. Sure enough, every once in a while, I catch something truly great.

Are you a pessimist who thinks Emily needs to remember people are sucky, smelly fools? Well, you may want to talk out your problems with someone, but until then e-mail Emily at elindeman@wisc.edu and try to destroy her peachy view of humanity.