ASM Legislative Affairs Committee opposes proposed Senate landlord bill

Members of a student government committee endorsed a letter Monday in opposition of a Senate Bill that would give Madison landlords additional powers over tenants.

Legislative Affairs Committee Chair Hannah Somers said the legislation would “negatively affect” students by allowing landlords to dispose of a tenant’s property once they have moved out of their residence without notice. Landlords would also be able to make a profit if they chose to sell any property and charge tenants for any required disposal costs.

Somers said the bill would also prevent tenants from notifying a building inspector of any problems with their residence prior to submitting a formal written complaint.

“I think this will be definitely be something that will discourage students from making sure the problem is taken care of,” Somers said of the changes.  “First time renters aren’t going to know if this is okay for landlords to do.”

The committee will present the letter of opposition to student council this Wednesday.

A Senate committee will vote on the legislation Wednesday which will determine if the bill will move to the Senate.