Eicher

Eicher steps down from county board

Dane County Board member Analiese Eicher is stepping down from her seat representing the county’s fifth district, saying she wants the position to be an outlet for a student voice.

Eicher, who was elected in April 2010, said she will not seek re-election, in hopes that a student may continue to represent the district.

“It is the students’ seat and should continue to be the students’ seat,” Eicher said. “I am no longer a student, and I think it’s a natural position to move on.”

Eicher said she accomplished the goals she set out to achieve at the beginning of her term, such as raising the position’s profile and supporting conservation efforts.

Second-year UW-Madison student Leland Pan is the only candidate to join the race for the fifth district seat so far.

“I appreciate Analiese’s work, and I will continue reaching out to students,” Pan said.

Pan hopes to be an “unabashed proactive and progressive leader” what  he believes the 5th district county board position has historically been.

“I view this county board position as a facilitator and communication between active students and county politics,” Pan said.

According to Eicher, the position is “an incredible opportunity to represent your peers in the governmental bodies.”

“I would hope that whoever is next in the seat is someone who wants to be there and who is going to show up to every meeting and be prepared and stay engaged,” Eicher said.