Students want Mifflin Street Block Party to continue, survey shows

As of Monday, the results of a student government survey indicate a majority of students want the Mifflin Street Block Party to continue.

The Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Committee said they plan to present the results to city officials in discussions about the future of the block party.

After an increase in violence was seen at last May's event, Mayor Paul Soglin and other city officials discussed ending the 42-year old party.

The committee sent the survey to UW-Madison students last Thursday to gauge how they feel about the party's future.

Legislative Affairs Committee member Jacob Miller said so far nearly 7,000 students have responded to the survey.

"There's a very strong sentiment they want Mifflin to continue," Miller said.

Miller said two thirds of the students who responded said they plan to attend the block party this year and think Mifflin is a "necessary" event. Thirteen percent said they strongly disagreed that the block party is necessary.

Of those who responded to the survey, 60 percent said they attended last May.

Legislative Affairs Chair Hannah Somers said the committee will begin interpreting the results of the survey Thursday.

"We are going to analyze the results and then determine as a committee what the student opinion seems to be," Somers said. "We will also talk to city alders ... and see where [the results] can be incorporated into the city decision-making process."