11072011 asm

ASM Freshman Rep. David Maier said he wants students to be more involved in shared governance on campus.

Newly elected ASM Reps. call for more transparency

Newly elected Associated Students of Madison representatives said they want to see more transparency within student government.

Freshman Rep. Mia Akers said she hopes she can make ASM clearer and more accessible to students, and that she hopes to bring a less tense atmosphere to student council meetings.

“I want people to look at me and what I bring to ASM as an unbiased person who brings a lot of experience and diversity to any decisions I make,” Akers said.

Similarly, Freshman Rep. Devon Maier said he wants to see more student participation and media opportunities in ASM.

Maier said UW-Madison students could be more involved with shared governance at the university.

“I consider myself an agent for change across campus,” Maier said.

Rep. Maria Giannopoulos said she wants to use ASM to promote opportunities for students and keep students informed on topics that pertain to them.

“We are the representation for our student body,” Giannopoulos said. “I am really excited to be seen as a listening person, rather than just a talking person.”

Rep. Colin Higgins said he hopes to get students involved in state and national politics and make it easier to vote through ASM.

Higgins also would like to see a sustainability committee established to make campus more environmentally friendly.

“I would like to be seen as someone who factors in the decision of the environment,” Higgins said. “Not just the ecological environment, but also the social environment of the student body on campus.”