Wisconsin focused on improvement ahead of UND series

Schultzie: Mike Eaves said that veteran players like Justin Schultz can?t try to do too much in order to compensate for Wisconsin?s youth.

With an inexperienced team every situation—good or bad—is an opportunity to learn and grow. That is the challenge for the Wisconsin men's hockey team (0-2 WCHA, 1-3 overall) as it tries to regroup after being swept by Michigan Tech and prepares for its looming matchup with No. 6 North Dakota.

The Badgers' three losses this season have all come in overtime. You would expect such a rough start to wear on the confidence of such a young team, but UW head coach Mike Eaves says he isn't worried because his team has already shown they are capable of handling adversity.

""We're so young and naïve, they'll just comeback and be fine,"" Eaves said. ""It's just like how we've played our games, we've fallen behind and fought back and they just keep playing so I think they'll be fine.""

Eaves said that despite the disappointing start he likes what he has seen from his team so far this season.

""These young men have stepped in and done a nice job,"" he said. ""In all the games we have played they have given us a chance to be victorious.""

One young player that Eaves specifically pointed out for his efforts was freshman forward Brad Navin.

""I thought Brad Navin had his best game so far,"" Eaves said. ""He showed his skating ability and he snapped the puck and was involved in a goal for us.""

""It was really encouraging to us as a coaching staff to see the type of game he played Saturday night because he took a step, he didn't look like a freshman,"" Eaves added. ""That big body of his was skating, he was shooting the puck and he played with some confidence and that is what he needs to feel […] if he keeps doing that he's going to be on the score sheet more often.""

One reason the Badgers have struggled out of the gate is their lack of goal scoring. In four games, Wisconsin has mustered only seven goals. Eaves has said that this season will have to be offense by committee after losing three of last season's top five scorers over the summer, but that expecting a high-level of production from an inexperienced group right away is a lot to ask.

""When you lose Craig Smith and Jordy Murray you're trying to replace some offense,"" Eaves said. ""[Assistant coach Bill Butters] and I were talking and it's like we want our first semester freshman to play like second semester juniors and that's just not going to happen.""

However, Eaves said that the veteran players can't try to do too much on the ice to try and overcome the struggles that come with playing on an inexperienced team that is very much still coming into its own.

""With the captains today we talked about the fact that one of the challenges is not to be super captains,"" Eaves said. ""They need to do their part. Less is more.""

Eaves made specific example of junior defenseman Justin Schultz in that regard.

""You can see it on the ice, [Justin] wants so badly for the team to do well that he's stepping outside of what he would normally do, which is the most effective,"" Eaves said. ""He's got to strike that balance with the type of team that we have, and understand that. He's learning.""

Ahead for Wisconsin is a huge test against the No. 6 Fighting Sioux at home this weekend. Eaves said that the Badgers need to put last weekend's disappointing results out of their minds and focus on preparing for what is sure toe be a tough series with UND.

""No matter what happened over this past weekend our job here is to get back to practice and get ready for North Dakota,"" Eaves said. ""North Dakota is going to be fun to get up for, you don't have to worry about the emotional.""

""We have to, during the course of the week, make sure we are getting better in all areas so that helps us be successful on Friday-Saturday,"" he added.