Union Council votes to 'strictly limit' private functions at proposed theater lounge

The Union Council voted Tuesday to limit private use of the proposed addition to the Union Theater.

Controversy surrounded the intent of the proposed addition, which would extend from the steps of the current theater lobby onto the terrace space overlooking Lake Mendota.

According to ASM Representative Sam Seering, language in the original referendum passed by students in 2006 called for a ""student lounge space,"" not a theater lounge space, and therefore should never deny public access.

""From talking with students on this campus, they've been excluded from many locations in both unions,"" Seering said.  ""Since this is a brand new space, student and union members [should] always be allowed in that space under any circumstances.""

Although Seering originally opposed any private use of the addition, he eventually sided with the council, voting with most other members to ""strictly limit"" private use of the area.

""There will be the occasion where the governor [or someone important] will call,"" Union Director Mark Guthier said. ""What are we going to say, that we have a policy?""

Additionally, the council passed an amendment mandating signs be posted at every entrance of the lounge on days an event denies students access to area.

The council will convene 12 months from the addition's opening to reevaluate lounge policy.