The Dirty Bird: Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder

Erica Andrist

Earlier this week, state Senator Mary Lazich, R-New Berlin,  proposed a  bill, which would essentially repeal the 2010 Healthy Youth Act. HYA requires schools that offer sex education to offer comprehensive education discussing contraceptives, sexually transmitted infections, and healthy relationships. Lazich's bill proposes changing the preferred method of sex ""education"" in the state of Wisconsin to emphasize abstinence as ""the only reliable way to prevent pregnancy.""

I could talk about the massive pile of evidence supporting condoms and other contraceptives as exceptionally effective in preventing pregnancy and STIs—evidence that's really easy to find and understand, even if you have no apparent public health knowledge whatsoever.

I could talk about the massive pile of evidence supporting the effectiveness of comprehensive sex education at increasing condom and contraceptive use without increasing sexual activity or numbers of sexual partners in young people. Or I could cite the huge pile of evidence supporting abstinence-based education as grossly ineffective at decreasing rates of STIs, pregnancy or premarital sex.But facts might be too hard for an elected official to understand. Plus, this would imply that this legislation is worthy of rational consideration and debate. It isn't. Abstinence-focused education does not work, regardless of how you try to define ""work."" There is no debate to be had here, and it's outrageous that Senator Lazich wants to force the state to spend time and money having it (again). This wildly offensive pattern of elected officials attempting to pass legislation and/or shape public consciousness based on ideas that are unsubstantiated, wholly fabricated or widely disproven should not be tolerated.

Besides, proving this legislation wrong is even easier than that. Here's a whole list of technically abstinent activities which will put someone at zero risk of knocking someone up. These activities are fun, sexy and have nothing to do with fear, shame or misinformation. It's true there are risks of sexually transmitted infections associated with some of these activities—risks which are negligible with the addition of barrier methods such as condoms to the scenario—but the fact remains that they reliably prevent pregnancy 100% of the time.

-Muff diving. Regardless of the number of orgasms your partner has, she's at a zero percent risk of getting pregnant.

-Jacking off. It is possible to use your own fingers, a vibrator, or a dildo to stimulate yourself to orgasm. There is a zero percent chance you will knock yourself up.

-Fisting. With a lot of lube, trust, relaxation and practice, you can allow a partner to insert an entire fist into one of your orifices. There is a zero percent chance you will fist anyone pregnant.

-Rim jobs. The gentle touch of a tongue to the exquisitely sensitive

anus is associated with a zero percent risk of pregnancy.

-Nipple play. Nipples are sensitive, sexy and you can use toys on them. Best of all, this activity is associated with a zero percent risk of pregnancy.

-Foot worship. The world's most common fetish is associated with a zero percent risk of pregnancy.

-Mutual masturbation. Ever

wonder why porn featuring people touching themselves is so popular? Try a live show while exposing yourself to a zero percent risk of pregnancy?

Obviously, there are many different ways to reliably prevent pregnancy. But this legislation is not really about health, safety or unplanned pregnancy. This bill is about stigmatizing choices and people, and enforcing a rigid, exclusionary definition of ""sex."" Sex happens in many shapes and forms, at many different ages and between many different people. Each of us deserves access to information which will help us to make the healthiest, safest, happiest choices for ourselves. Leave the Healthy Youth Act alone.

E-mail sex@dailycardinal.com.