Scoring duo and strong goaltending lead UW to a win over Cornhuskers

Nosbusch: Laurie Nosbusch

The Wisconsin women's soccer team (3-1-2 Big Ten, 8-4-2 overall) snapped their three-game winless streak, shutting out Nebraska (2-4-0 Big Ten, 5-7-1 overall) 2-0 in Lincoln behind goals from forwards freshman Cara Walls and senior Laurie Nosbusch and another great defensive performance by senior goalkeeper Michele Dalton.

""I thought we did well as a group and got some opportunistic goals from collective play,"" UW head coach Paula Wilkins said. ""It was truly a team effort tonight, and I think it's the first time I've seen that consistency or that effort from this group.""

The goal-scoring duo of Walls and Nosbusch has meant nothing but success for the Badgers throughout the season. Wisconsin is 6-2-0 when either player scores, but 1-2-2 when both are kept off the scoreboard. They have accounted for 12 of the 19 goals for the Badgers.

Walls put UW on the board in the 44th minute. Nosbusch got the ball in transition and drew a defender in before passing it to Walls who converted into the back of the net.

Despite Wisconsin holding a goal advantage, the Cornhuskers owned a 10-4 shot advantage at halftime. Nebraska stayed aggressive throughout the second half as well by outshooting the Badgers 9-6.

However, Wisconsin was able to execute on their scoring opportunities in the 82nd minute to extend the lead thanks to Nosbusch's fifth goal of the year.

Junior forward Paige Adams passed to senior midfielder Lauren Cochlin, who dribbled the ballĀ  up the field, forcing NU goalkeeper Emma Stevens to make a play on the ball. With Stevens committed, Cochlin served the ball over to Nosbusch, who scored easily.

The Badgers defense was strong throughout led by a season-high 11 saves from Dalton. The defense was also able to neutralize the high-powered Nebraska offense led by Morgan Marlborough and Jordan Jackson who challenged Dalton all game long. The duo had combined for 18 goals on the season coming into the game.

""She [Dalton] was very good today,"" Wilkins said. ""It was probably one of the best goalkeeping performances I've seen in my career. She made a big difference because they were very good at creating some opportunities, and she really helped us keep a clean sheet.""

The Badgers are back in action next weekend for their final road series of the season as they take on Northwestern on Friday and Illinois on Sunday.