Proposed bill would alter campaign finance disclosure

State Sen. Glenn Grothman, R-West Bend, recently announced plans to introduce a bill that would eliminate the current state requirement for political contributors to disclose their employer information.

The current requirement mandates that all contributors donating more than $100 to state campaigns disclose their occupation and employer.

Grothman's proposed bill would eliminate the need for both businesses and employees donating above $100 to disclose their contributions.

The requirement was originally enacted in 1974 for the purpose of maintaining an informed electorate, according to the Government Accountability Board.

But according to a press release from Grothman's office, it allows ""Wisconsin's Totalitarian Left"" to target businesses and employees that contribute to Republicans.  

""Over the last seven months, mean-spirited public employee unions have tried to use the massive purchasing power of our public workers to make it difficult for businesses that hire Republican employees within our state to continue operating,"" Grothman said.