Huskers' visit proves good for business

Although the football team ostensibly won the weekend, Madison businesses were also successful, reaping the economic benefits of the roughly 40,000 Huskers in town for Saturday's game.

""It was easily our best weekend ever,"" said one manager of Whiskey Jacks on State Street, where up to 60 percent of customers were Huskers.

While sales figures are not readily available, the weekend's impact was felt on State Street, said Business Improvement District Executive Director Mary Carbine.

""The streets were extremely crowded and, based on what I saw, it had to be a strong weekend for downtown business-wise,"" Carbine said, comparing the atmosphere to last year's Ohio State game weekend.

Like last year's upset, the Nebraska game took place at night, a feature that has a ""bigger impact"" on businesses, according to Carbine.

""As opposed to afternoon games, night games are the best [for business] and give folks all day to explore State Street and Capitol Square,"" said Carbine. ""[One State Street retailer] told me she had great days both Friday and Saturday.""

Many establishments prepared extensively for the Nebraska fans, staffing and stocking on a scale normally reserved for the busiest of weekends.

""We knew [Nebraska fans] traveled well compared to other Big Ten schools, but we still did better than expected,"" said Andrew Hoerig, general manager at Hawk's Bar and Grill. ""We had a line out the door, which never happens on normal weekends.""

Bartenders and managers were taken back by the Husker fans' good behavior.

""I was really surprised at how nice and polite fans were,"" said Hoerig. ""They were more agitated and grumpier after the loss, but overall they were very non-violent.""