County holds mock election to test ID law's efficiency

Before Wisconsin's new law tightening the requirements to vote takes effect next spring, Dane County clerks tested the new state policy in a mock election Tuesday.

The law, which passed last May, requires voters to show valid photo identification at the polls and to sign a poll book on election day.

It will not take effect until Spring 2012, but according to Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, the city held the mock election to test many different practices and determine the best way to implement the policy.

""Part of the goal was to make sure every vote is not only counted, but everyone who wants to vote, can,"" Resnick said.

The city wanted to see how it could most efficiently collect information, and how to collect information the fastest way possible.

Resnick said the trial also prepared the city clerks for problems that could arise in the next election.

Almost 140 participants cast fake ballots where they voted for their favorite Wisconsin sports team, season, snack food  and Madison park.

City Clerk Maribeth Witzel-Behl told Isthmus that Madison is making voter ID a top priority with 74 educational presentations planned throughout the year.

""We want to make sure voters aren't surprised at the polling place next year when they show up to vote, and find out then that they need an ID, and then not have their vote count,"" Witzel-Behl told Isthmus.