City discusses Mifflin party, new apartment complexes

Members of the Mifflin Neighborhood Association discussed the future of the Mifflin Street Block Party and the construction of a new apartment complex on North Bassett Street Wednesday.

Hannah Somers, Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Chair, attended the meeting to propose the need for communication between students and Mifflin Street residents.

""We're looking for the students to speak out and say what they want to say,"" Scott Kolar, president of Capital Neighborhoods, Inc., said. ""The future of Mifflin Street Block Party really depends on the participation of the students in this process.""

Somers said ASM designed a survey to spark students' interest about the future of the block party. The survey addresses three main concerns, including student safety, student expectations for future block parties as well as what changes should be made to meet those expectations.

Somers said ASM will send a campus-wide e-mail within the next few weeks asking all students to offer input.

Also at the meeting, the association discussed the possibility of the construction of two new apartment complexes on Bassett and Johnson Streets near the Double Tree Hotel.

Scott Faust, owner of a laundromat at 279 N. Bassett St., plans to construct a six-story apartment complex where the nonoperational laundromat currently stands.

Association members granted Faust the waiver he requested to move his project forward despite missing the Sept. 27 deadline to submit his plans for future city committee agendas.

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, one reason Faust wants to move forward soon is that the city is introducing plans for a park to be located within the Mifflin Street neighborhood and has been considering Faust's property for the project.

Faust said he hopes to break ground next August should city committees decide to relocate the implementation of the park elsewhere in the neighborhood.

Ron Feddler, owner of the Inez apartment building on 511 W. Johnson St., also proposed his building plans to the association.

Feddler hopes to tear down the current Inez building and construct a 12-story apartment complex in its place.

But Feddler said his building plan will not come to fruition for at least another three years.