Caracas Empanadas returns for first time since fire

The Caracas Empanadas food cart reopened Friday for the first time since it caught fire at Taste of Madison over the Labor Day weekend.

Cart owner Luis de Dompablo said he is anxious to return to Library Mall and the Farmer's Market, and said he ""thanks his foodie fans for their patience over the last two months.""

""Many people have been sending well wishes and words of encouragement via our Facebook page,"" Dompablo said in a statement. ""I know a lot of people have been anxiously waiting for our return.""

The cart closed on Sept. 3, after fire fighters broke through its steel wall to put out a fire caused by an overheated cooking vent.

""It was like I was watching a movie,"" Dompablo said after the incident. ""I didn't really understand. I kept thinking, ‘Is this happening to me?'""

The cart sustained almost $10,000 in damages as a result of the fire.

Dompablo said he replaced the rear wall and installed a new insulation system to ensure the cart will not catch fire again. He also added a new fryer and hood fan and replaced the artwork on the cart's rear.