UW goes unbeaten during two-game weekend road trip

Tennyson: Joey Tennyson?s goal against Drake on Friday was his third of the season, making him the team?s leading scorer on the year.

The Wisconsin men's soccer team (0-0-0 Big Ten, 3-3-1 Overall) was in need of two good results this past weekend as it traveled to UIC.  Looking to halt a three game losing streak, the Badgers headed to Chicago to face Drake University (4-3-1) and SIU Edwardsville (3-2-2) in their last Friday-Sunday game weekend of the season.

Wisconsin started the weekend off strong, easily getting by Drake in a 3-1 victory.  Friday night's win was the first in four games and brought the overall record back to .500.

Striking early, the Badgers entered halftime with a comfortable 2-0 lead on goals by sophomore midfielder Nick Janus in the 18th minute of the game and sophomore midfielder Joey Tennyson as the first half neared its end.

The goal by Tennyson was his third in five games and was enough to make the young star the team leader in goals scored this season.

Not long into the second half, Wisconsin cemented its lead and eventually the win as sophomore midfielder Trevor Wheeler netted the third goal of the game and his first of the season.

The Bulldogs responded quickly to the Wheeler goal, scoring just over two minutes later.  However, the goal was too little too late as the Badgers took the final decision.

After earning a start Friday night and playing exceptionally, sophomore goalkeeper Max Jentsch found himself in between the pipes again Sunday afternoon as the Badgers took on SIU Edwardsville.

Despite another strong outing by Jentsch and the Badgers, they would play to a draw against the Cougars.

After finishing the first half with 0-0 tie, Wisconsin would once again be the team that opened the scoring.  The Badgers would take a 1-0 lead late in the game on a beautifully placed header by sophomore forward Chris Prince.

SIU found the equalizer, however, on a goal by the Cougars' Derek Huffman.  SIU's goal came in the 86th minute of the game and forced overtime.

Neither side was able to find the game winner during the extra time, and after 110 minutes of play, the game would end in a 1-1 draw.  Even though a draw is not the ideal outcome, the Badgers ended the two game road trip without taking a loss, bringing their record up to 3-3-1.

The Badgers returns home this upcoming Sunday as they host Loyola Marymount.  Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Dan McClimon Memorial Complex.

UWBadgers.com contributed to this report.