Union plans on ASM's fall ballot

asm: ASM elected Claire Lynch to Chair of the Shared Governance Committee Wednesday.

Union plans on ASM's fall ballot

UW-Madison student government voted to include a referendum for students to vote whether or not to support Memorial Union renovations on their fall election ballot, despite strong opposition from students working on the project.

Although the votes would not decide the fate of the union renovations, the Associated Students of Madison said the student input could influence Chancellor David Ward's decision.

Graduate student Baris Aydinliglu said the project has changed drastically since a referendum for the renovations passed in 2006 and so it is necessary for students to vote again.

""Students voted on a vision, and where we are right now is substantially different than that vision,"" Aydinliglu said.

Union Council President Katie Fischer said the referendum would be ""premature"" because plans haven't been finalized. Fischer said members of the Wisconsin Union are still seeking student input on the project.

""We hear you. The union hears you,"" said Fischer. ""We're working towards campus discussion.""

Hoofers representatives said the referendum could lead to a delay in the construction of the project, which could interfere with lakefront activities by taking up room on the Terrace for two summers rather than one.

Members said the interference could lead to a decrease in Hoofers membership, thus a decrease in funding for the club.

ASM Representative Dan Posca said that putting the referendum on the ballot gives students a chance to have their voices heard.

""I can't turn down the request of my constituents to have a say in this,"" said Posca.

Also at the meeting, Student Services Finance Committee Chair Sarah Neibart said the council should expect opposition to SSFC's discussion to deny funding to the Multicultural Student Coalition.

Neibart said the group turned in required information past deadline, making them ineligible for funding. Despite requests to reconsider, she said she would not make an exception for the group.

Also at the meeting, council elected Claire Lynch to Shared Governance chair.

ASM Chair Allie Gardner said Lynch's previous work in Shared Governance will help her to lead the committee.

""She has four years of experience on the committee,"" Gardner said. ""She'll be ready to get going right away, recruiting students to be filling those seats, which is the most important thing right now.""