Student leaders removed from seats

Beth Huang was removed from her position as student council Vice Chair by the Student Judiciary Thursday.

The SJ ruled not to extend Huang's time in office until her appeal date, due to uncertainty whether Huang met the deadline for infringements of Associated Students of Madison bylaws last spring.

In April, the SJ sentenced Huang to 20 hours of community service for violating ASM campaign bylaws by canvassing in a student dormitory. Huang said the hours were due by Sept. 15, and she submitted them that night.

According to the SJ, this was past the due date. The Judiciary announced Huang's dismissal Tuesday, postponed its effect Wednesday and decided to enact the dismissal Thursday.

Huang will get the chance to appeal Student Judiciary's most recent decision.

SJ Chief Justice Kathryn Fifield stated allowing Huang to appeal is the ""best opportunity to really flesh out the important questions that have resulted from this case… and what the appellants will be able to present to [ASM] in terms of arguments.""

According to Huang, her dismissal will have consequences for ASM.

Huang opened up forum by stating that ""the termination of her stay and subsequent removal will have a detrimental affect on ASM as an organization and ASM as a student body.""

Huang said it took her three months to transition into her position as Vice Chair, and that nobody can make that changeover in one week's time. She said during that period she met with 50 to 100 different faculty, staff and administration members on campus, as well as student organizations.

""Those relationships and institutional networks with UW-Madison cannot simply be passed on,"" she said.

The SJ also dismissed ASM Nominations Board Chair Niko Magollan on the same grounds.

The SJ will meet in special session to hear both Huang and Magollan's appeals by Friday Sept. 30.