Demands brought to Ward's door at rally

protest: ASM Representative Leland Pan encourages protesters to resume the fight for increased wages and benefits for TAs.

Demands brought to Ward's door at rally

Rallying cries rang throughout Bascom Hall Tuesday afternoon, as more than 100 UW-Madison teaching assistants, faculty, staff and students posted a list of demands on Chancellor David Ward's door.

The sign, which protesters taped on Ward's door, demanded what they called reasonable benefits and wage increases for TAs and that the university give students a stronger voice in policy making.

""For too long we've been out of the streets, but we're back on campus,"" TA Michael Billeaux said.  ""I think things are going to change this semester.""

Billeaux said he earned $12,000 as a TA last year and expects a lower salary in the upcoming year. He said $12,000 sufficed for his lifestyle as a single male, but for some it is not enough.

""Some of us have families. Some of us have children. Some of us have people who depend on us or who are sick and in need,"" said Billeaux.  

Madison Area Technical College Professor Ben Manski, who participated in Tuesday's event, is no stranger to marching at Chancellor Ward's doorstep to demonstrate his beliefs.  In February of 1999, Manski was among a group of UW-Madison students who locked themselves in Ward's Bascom office in protest of the university's handling of sweatshop apparel.

""What we found was we could eventually get [Ward] to do the right thing if we made him do the right thing,"" Manski said.  ""I have confidence [students] will make him do the right thing this year.""

Manski said the current question facing Ward was whether he will remain accountable to students, faculty and staff or to Gov. Scott Walker.

""I think it is really important in the coming semester that students let the chancellor know that they expect him to be on their side, not on the side of the Chamber of Commerce,"" Manski said.

ASM representative and Student Labor Action Coalition member Leland Pan, who helped organize Tuesday's protest, said the best way for students to express their expectations for the new chancellor is through ASM.

""It is state mandated that [ASM] must exist to help govern the university,"" said Pan.  ""Student's have an unprecedented amount of power in Wisconsin and they should take advantage of that.""

Chancellor Ward could not be reached for comment before publication.