Campus says Ward can stay

UW-Madison's three shared governance groups are all on board with faculty's request to extend Interim Chancellor David Ward's term at the university for another year.

The Associated Students of Madison sent UW-System President Kevin Reilly a letter endorsing the request Wednesday, bringing the shared governance groups to a consensus.

The University Committee, the executive committee of the Faculty Senate, made the request last week and The Academic Staff endorsed it Friday afternoon.

In their endorsement letter to Reilly, ASM said extending Ward's chancellorship would allow for more extensive dialogue about changes within the UW-System and at the university.

""We believe continuing the appointment of Interim Chancellor Ward for another year will allow for meaningful discussion about timely issues affecting the climate of UW-Madison and UW System surrounding governance, the personnel system and other flexibilities extending from the biennial budget,"" the letter said.

Ward said he would consider staying another year if governing bodies within the university and the system feel it is in the best interest of UW-Madison.

""I'd like to let people think about it for a week or two,"" Ward said. ""The last thing I'd want to do after the spring is to create a controversy.""

Ward said he thinks it might be easier for him to deal with the upcoming changes at UW-Madison than a new chancellor because he is familiar with the university.

""I think the arguments being made make sense to me, but I am a patient person and I think these kinds of decisions need to mature,"" Ward said.

Dean of Students Lori Berquam said UW-Madison is ""in good hands with Chancellor Ward,"" and the length of his chancellorship should be determined by how long it takes the university to select the best possible candidates for the next chancellor.