Become a Conspirator at the Majestic

Conspirator: Conspirator, made up of Disco Biscuits members Aron Magner and Marc Brownstein, look to win over new fans at the Majestic Saturday.

Become a Conspirator at the Majestic

Ever since their first jam session, electronica band Conspirator has been all about adapting. On Sept. 24, they will bring their latest style and lineup to the Majestic Theater.

Members of the Disco Biscuits, one of the forefathers of livetronica music, keyboardist Aron Magner and bassist Marc Brownstein have taken advantage of their time away from touring to foster a new musical focus. Magner took the time to discuss the project with The Daily Cardinal in an interview.

""We had a lot of time at home; a lot of down time,"" Magner said. ""We kind of started something not knowing exactly what it was. We wanted to actually produce tracks with our musical background but with computers.""

As time progressed, Conspirator adapted to its ever-expanding dreams of a bigger sound by adding members like now permanent guitarist Chris Michetti. The band went through so many musicians sitting in on songs and sets that they inspired the band name.

""We'd call these people co-conspirators, if you will,"" he said. ""This kind of lent itself to us calling ourselves Conspirator,"" Magner said.

The drummer has rotated the most for the group. Even now, Conspirator doesn't have a consistent drummer, but don't assume that means the percussion section is suffering. The band has a great repertoire, made up of some of the most renowned drummers of the electronica world.

""I can't tell you how lucky we are to be playing with some of these amazing drummers,"" Magner said. ""These guys are special. These are drummers with an innate ability to play their instruments and do things that most drummers only wish that they could do.""

Although the band may eventually shop for a permanent drummer, Saturday's show at the Majestic and the first leg of their tour will feature Kevin ""KJ"" Sawka, drummer of British electronica masters Pendulum.

""We're incredibly excited to bring him on,"" he said. ""Watching him play is one of the special musical moments for sure.""

If Magner's endorsement doesn't convince you to see the band live, check out a few YouTube videos of Sawka drumming. As a fellow drummer, I agree with Magner's statement.

To get new and old fans alike excited for their tour, Conspirator has adapted their music release process to fit the current music buying practice: ""Immediate demand satiation of music,"" as Magner describes it.

Conspirator is constantly recording and then immediately releasing their songs on their website, as well as blogs like thissongissick.com.

""Though we could sit here and collect all these new songs and eventually release an album, wouldn't it be nice to release it as we do it?"" Magner asked. ""Here it is world, and you can get it for free.""

The band hopes this tactic will generate interest in their music from more than just their current fan base. Given the way that electronica and all its different subgenres have taken off in 2011, generating interest shouldn't be too hard.

""Electro in the summer of 2011 is the new pop. It's expanding because I think it speaks for itself,"" he said. ""This is the year of the DJ; the year of electronic music is now.""

If you're late to catch the electronica train, don't despair. Conspirator will gladly welcome you to their show.

""We're not just catering to the already established fans,"" Magner said. ""I love winning over new fans.""

Whether you are a newcomer or well-versed in the world of elecronica, at Saturday night's show you can expect Conspirator to adapt to the crowd's energy. After all, adapting is what they do best.