Ward appointed interim chancellor

University of Wisconsin Board of Regents President Kevin P. Reilly announced the selection Wednesday of Chancellor Emeritus David Ward as interim chancellor of UW-Madison following Chancellor Biddy Martin's departure.

Ward formerly served as chancellor at UW-Madison from 1993 to 2000, and has since served as president of the American Council on Education.

""[Ward's] sense of history, his breadth of experience and his personal leadership style are the right fit for this great university at this critical moment in time,"" said Milwaukee Board of Regents President Michael J. Spector, introducing Ward at a press conference Wednesday.

In his opening remarks, Chancellor Emeritus Ward also made much of the timing of his appointment, noting he will be faced with new challenges regarding $250 million in funding cuts, as well as new flexibilities granted to the UW System in the state budget.

""I think flexibilities are on the table,"" said Ward. ""We've got to demonstrate that they are as important as we claim them to be, and that's going to take a lot of effort on our parts.""

In the wake of Chancellor Martin's departure, Ward also faces the fallout over the New Badger Partnership, a plan to grant UW-Madison flexibility by spinning it off from the UW System that received heated opposition and ultimately failed in the legislature.

Regarding the New Badger Partnership, Ward was somewhat cautious.

""It seems to me that the next chancellor has got to make the big strides,"" he said Wednesday. ""I won't stand still, but initially I will listen.""

Ward said he hopes to encourage a public dialogue on what flexibilities public universities need to compete effectively.

""I think there is a set of questions of ‘How autonomous should a flagship campus be?' and I hope we can have a look at that,"" said Ward, adding that ""public authority may be only one way of doing that.""

Ward did, however, admit that he felt any solution should keep UW-Madison within the UW System, ""I'm all for flexibility, I'm all for moving with the Badger Partnership as a concept, but the institutional outcome, I think, is something we need further reflection on,"" he said.

UW System President Reilly is currently working with the Board of Regents and the UW-Madison campus community to begin the nationwide search for UW-Madison's next chancellor. Reilly will appoint a screen committee comprised of UW-Madison faculty, academic staff, classified staff and students, as well as community representatives.

Reilly said he hopes to have a permanent leader in place by next summer.

Ward's appointment as interim chancellor will take affect starting July 18.