Pedestrian killed by Metro bus confirmed as long time Memorial Library employee

The Memorial Library staff said they lost one of their ""best and brightest"" when the Dane County Medical Examiner's Office confirmed that their colleague, Maureen E. Grant, 58, was the pedestrian who died after being struck by a bus on University Avenue Wednesday morning.

After a complete forensic autopsy was conducted Thursday, The Dane County Medical Examiner's Office confirmed that Grant died as a result of the fatal injuries she received from the accident.

According to the Wisconsin State Journal, Grant was walking to work on Wednesday morning when police said she was struck by a bus turning left from Lake Street onto University Avenue.

Debra Foster, the Metro bus driver involved in the accident Wednesday morning, started her employment at Metro Transit in April 2009. No further information has been released about Foster due to an ongoing investigation.

The Memorial Library staff, although shocked, said they continue to remember Grant, according to a statement. Grant has worked in the library's Acquisitions Department since 1992.

Richard Reeb, one of Grant's colleagues at Memorial Library, said in a statement that a member of his staff told him the news about Grant Wednesday. He said it will be impossible to replace her.

""I think it's very, very difficult for a lot of our staff to deal with this tragedy,"" Reeb said in a statement. ""She was colorful, she was talkative, and she was a great conversationalist. She had a lot to give and she gave more than anyone expected.""

According to the Madison Police Department, ""the family of Maureen Grant is thankful for your

interest in their well being, and the heartfelt expressions of sympathy."" The family asks for understanding in respecting their need for privacy, police said.

The death is still under investigation by the City of Madison Police Department, the Wisconsin State Patrol and the Dane County Medical Examiner's Office.

According to police, Grant's family said they have ""full confidence that the MPD and other agencies involved will do everything appropriate when investigating the circumstances of Maureen's death.""