Madison woman killed by city bus

UPDATE — 11:25 pm — The woman struck by the bus has been identified as Maureen Grant, an employee of Memorial Library, according to Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8. She was not a UW student. Stay tuned to The Daily Cardinal for more updates.

A Madison woman died after she was struck by a Madison Metro bus Wednesday morning while walking northbound on University Avenue.

According to the Madison Police Department, the woman was in the crosswalk and had a walk light when she was struck by the Metro bus turning left onto University Avenue from Lake Street.

""This is a very sad day here at Metro,"" Madison Metro Spokesperon Mick Rusch said. ""This is a tragic accident that is hard on family, friends and everyone affected.""

A backpack, sandals and an umbrella were found at the scene, according to Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8. Although this could suggest she was a UW-Madison student, it is entirely possible she has no university affiliation as she has not been identified, said Resnick.

Police called the City of Madison Fire Crews to the scene to extract the woman pinned under the bus, where she was then transported to UW hospital.  The Engine 1 crew used cribbing to stabilize the bus while the Ladder 1 crew used the ""Jaws of Life"" to lift the bus off of the victim.

The accident is currently under investigation by the City of Madison Police Department, the Wisconsin State Patrol and the Dane County Medical Examiner's Office. Identification of the victim is pending notification from her family.

""The city of Madison will cooperate with a complete investigation that is already underway,"" Soglin said.

Rusch said the bus driver was taken immediately for drug and alcohol testing, which is standard procedure, and will be interviewed by police. The bus was taken to a garage where it will be impounded for investigators to examine the bus's functioning and mechanics.

Mayor Paul Soglin said in a statement that his thoughts are with the victim and her family, but also the bus driver and entire Metro Transit Team.

""Madison Metro drivers have an exemplary safety record,"" Soglin said.

Resnick said his deepest sympathies go out to the victim's family and loved ones.

""It's really horrific when an accident of this nature happens,"" Resnick said.

A complete forensic investigation is scheduled for Thursday, June 23.