Athletic Board discusses economic impact

The UW-Madison Athletic Board convened Friday to discuss a recently completed economic impact report and updated academic requirements for UW-Madison football players next year.

The report, a cumulative study on the athletic departments economic impact compiled from 2010-'11 budget data, found the University of Wisconsin Athletic Department generated $970 million for the state from 2010-2011. The Athletic Department also earned about $52 million annually in state and local taxes, according to the report.

Additionally, the construction of a new hockey facility, La Bahn Arena, and Athletic Performance Center generated a combined $150 million and created 1,600 jobs.

""I think it's important for the awareness of our value,"" UW Athletic Director Barry Alvarez said of the report. ""Many times we have to justify our existence, and there always seems to be some question [among critics] about paying taxes and making money … [the numbers are] good to know.""

Board members also discussed the updated NCAA academic requirements for football players, which it will implement following the 2011 college football season.

The new requirements state that if a player does not pass at least nine credits during their fall semester, the NCAA will suspend players for the first four games of the following season. However, if that player passes 27 credits by the beginning of the next season, the NCAA will reduce their suspension by two games.

Alvarez said he disliked the new requirements because they differentiate football standards from other college athletic academic requirements.

Newly hired women's basketball coach Bobbie Kelsey introduced herself to the board during the meeting. Kelsey was previously an assistant coach and four-year player for the Stanford Cardinal basketball team.  She said she is optimistic about the upcoming season.

""This is a great program, and the other sports and coaches have been very supportive,"" Kelsey said. ""There is nowhere to go but up.""