Possible Metro bus route changes postponed

Metro: UW-Madison students and staff voiced critiques over the possible re-routing of the 81 and 82 bus routes at a public hearing Tuesday.

After hearing numerous concerns at a public hearing Tuesday, transportation services and the Associated Students of Madison's bus advisory committee and agreed to postpone the decision to alter bus Routes 81 and 82.

With the proposed changes for bus route 81, the route would no longer service the Lakeshore residence hall area. This would leave Route 80 to serve as the area's only late-night bus provider. Route 80 would run every 40 minutes in comparison to the 15 minutes the Route 81 currently runs.

Bus advisory committee member Jo Matzner said the public hearing was set up for the committee to get feedback on the proposed alterations to the routes.

However, after hearing the feedback Tuesday, Matzner said staff felt there needs to be more discussion.

""Because we care about campus safety and about everyone's financial concerns, we want to take more time so we can craft a better solution for the campus community,"" Matzner said in an e-mail.

During the public hearing, UW-Madison students and staff raised serious concerns about the proposed alterations.

UW-Madison Housing Director Paul Evans said he was worried about the convenience and safety of the approximate 2,200 students living in Lakeshore that would be affected by the possible route change.

""I'm worried about our investments, students and the safety of that area,"" Evans said.

There is also a large concern with the future additional residential halls to be built in Lakeshore starting fall 2012, Evans said.

The residential hall for fall 2012 would house 400 students. The hall to be completed in 2013 would house another 150 students, Evans said.

Matzner said ASM is not giving enough support to get more students' input concerning information with issues involving the bus passes and altering routes.

Matzner said the information about students' campus bus use was comprised of from Madison Metro. The committee did what they could do with the information they were given despite a lack of support, Matzner said.

The committee also received input through public hearing sessions, Matzner said.