Lawyer informs students of their legal rights at Mifflin

Criminal defense lawyer Marcus Jens Berghahn spoke to students Wednesday about what can be expected from police at the highly-anticipated 2011 Mifflin Street Block Party Saturday.

At the ""Know Your Rights"" event, sponsored by the American Civil Liberties Union Student Alliance, Berghahn spoke about how constitutional rights would apply at the block party.

Berghahn said the traditional belief that ""As long as you're on the grass, the police can't touch you,"" is a myth. Police can approach you if you even if you are in someone's yard.

This year, traditional rules regarding Mifflin have changed. Because the Majestic Theatre now sponsors the event, people of the legal drinking age will be able to purchase a wristband and drink openly in the streets from a non-glass container.

Students without wristbands are not allowed to drink in the streets. If they violate this rule, they risk being approached by police asking for identification.

Berghahn said police never are allowed to search a person without a warrant. Any person is legally allowed to restrict the police from searching them.

""Police are at your door, what do you do? Can you keep the door closed? Do they barge in? The only way the officer is getting in is if you let them in,"" Berghahn said.

Students asked if they look guiltier if they refuse to answer questions posed by police when being arrested.

Berghahn said if a student is being arrested, they could not look any guiltier. The best thing someone can do when being arrested is remain silent; talking would most likely further implicate the person.

Freshman Deanna Latham said she found the presentation to be beneficial.

""Any student who goes to this university would have benefited from this presentation. It was informative and important. More students should know about their rights. It made me realize we don't know enough,"" Latham said.