Commission approves street drinking at Mifflin

The Madison Street Use Commission unanimously decided Monday to grant final approval to the Majestic Theater in sponsoring this year's Mifflin Street Block Party.

For the first time ever, those of legal age are permitted to drink on the streets within the event zone. Madison Police Officer Carl Gloede said he hopes this will ""change an event that has traditionally had serious alcohol problems and other issues into a more positive event.""

Beer, water and food vendors will be located throughout the event zone to generate revenue to cover the event and taxpayer costs.

One live music stage will be located on Mifflin Street in between Bassett Street and Broom Street. Performances will begin at 11 a.m. and end at around 7 p.m.

City officials said they hope the live music scene will draw people out of the houses and backyards and onto the street.

""There is a strong feeling within [Capitol Neighborhoods Inc.] to try and have a more positive experience focused on entertainment rather than drinking,"" CNI representative Scott Kolar said.

Madison city officials said this year's new conduct plan and model will be taken into consideration for future Mifflin Street Block Party planning, but did not project how the event will be run in years to come.

Mayor Paul Soglin said he hopes the Mifflin Street Block Party will be discussed by Common Council.

""This is such a break from what we've had in the past,"" Soglin said. ""Given how significant this is, this is a change of policy which very frankly should have gone to City Council.""

The annual meeting held by Verveer and event sponsors will be on April 25 to further discuss the Mifflin Street Block Party with Mifflin Street residents.

The block party will also feature a performances from many artists and DJs including F. Stokes, Shinobi Ninja, STEEZ, Dirty Disco Kidz, DJ Radish and DJ Pain 1 & The Cranberry Show.