Badgers' 'Bud'-ding star

Budmayr: Scott Tolzien?s departure leaves a big hole in the Wisconsin offense, but Jon Budmayr?s strong work ethic should help ease the transition for UW.

Badgers' 'Bud'-ding star

Quarterback is one of the most demanding positions in all of sports. In no other sport does one position have as strong an influence on the team's success than the field general on the gridiron. Quarterbacks constantly live under a heavy spotlight of scrutiny.

That scrutiny is all the more intense when a young quarterback is attempting to replace a predecessor that was extremely successful in his time under center. Just ask Aaron Rodgers. While Scott Tolzien may not be Brett Favre, Wisconsin sophomore quarterback Jon Budmayr still has some big shoes to fill as he tries to step up to be the Badgers' next quarterback.

The Woodstock, Illinois native served as Tolzien's back up during the Badgers' run to the Rose Bowl last season, appearing in three games and completing 8 of 10 passes for 134 yards and a 74 yard touchdown pass to sophomore wide receiver Jared Abbrederis during the Badgers 83-20 blowout win over Indiana. He now appears ready to step into the spotlight and take the reins of the Wisconsin offense.

Green Bay Packers offensive lineman Bryan Bulaga, a former teammate of Budmayr's at Marian Central Catholic High School, offered Budmayr praise on his Twitter. He tweeted, ""Badger fans watch out this spring for your QB and my good friend and former high school QB Jon Budmayr,"" on March 22. By all accounts Bulaga isn't the only one who has been impressed with the ability Budmayr has shown so far this spring.

""He is getting a lot better as practices have gone on and he is progressing really well,"" Abbrederis said. ""He's learning to read the defense better and get the ball out on time and has a lot of trust in us receivers right now that we'll be in the right spot.""

Great quarterbacks have ususally been great leaders both on and off the field, and according to Abbrederis, Budmayr has quickly stepped into that role.

""He leads by example,"" Abbrederis said. ""He is the kind of guy that is never going to quit; he's not going to cheat on a rep and will always give all he has. But he has also become more of a vocal leader in the huddle.""

Leadership is something that has always come naturally to Budmayr, which will certainly serve him well on Saturday's at Camp Randall.

""Since I was younger, I have always been a leader by example; that's the person I am,"" he said. ""But at the same time, there are certain times when I need to step up and say something and then I'll do that.""

Teammates and coaches alike have raved about Budmayr's work ethic, something he says he learned from watching his predecessor.

""Scott [Tolzien] always prepared very well,"" he said.  ""I learned from him to put the work in Sunday through Friday and that makes things that much easier on Saturday. He came out for practice every day ready to work; he had something he was focused on working on each and every day, and I have tried to emulate that.""

That work ethic was instilled during Budmayr's senior year of high school. After a huge junior season where he threw for 2,033 yards and 15 touchdowns Budmayr came into his senior year as a highly touted quarterback prospect, but in the first game of the season, he suffered a broken collarbone that required season-ending surgery.

""It was tough, but it helps you realize what a blessing God has given you to play this sport and that it can be taken away real quick,"" Budmayr said of the injury. ""I learned you have to take advantage of each day, come out, get better and work and embrace it.""  

Tolzien was able to have success during his two seasons as the Badgers' quarterback because he was a brilliant game manager. With the running game Wisconsin has historically had, the quarterback has never been expected to win games, he just can't lose them. Tolzien fit that mold perfectly, rarely making mistakes and ran the UW offense to a tee.

Budmayr says that Badger fans shouldn't expect anything different from him, though he said he isn't afraid to air it our every once in awhile, something Tolzien didn't do very often.

""Scott and I have a similar game,"" Budmayr said. ""The only difference being I stretch the field and throw the ball deep a little bit more.""

Though, as Abbrederis points out, just because Budmayr isn't afraid to show off his arm, that doesn't mean he is a gunslinger type quarterback that is careless with the football.

""He's got a really good arm, and isn't afraid to throw the ball up,"" Abbrederis said. ""He gives the receiver a shot to make a play on the ball and has a good concept of the defense so he knows where to go with the ball so he's not throwing into double coverage.""

Budmayr was labeled by many as the favorite to emerge from Wisconsin's quarterback competition between himself, junior Curt Phillips and freshman Joe Brennan as the starter for the Badgers opener Sept. 1, but as he said, he doesn't listen to that type of talk, instead focusing on improving his game.

""The competition resides in yourself,"" he said. ""That is the approach I have taken since I got here. I have to come out here each day, get better and prove to my teammates that I can get better because the better play the quarterback has, then the better the team plays.""

Most of UW's most potent offensive weapons will be back next season, which should help Budmayr make a smooth transistion. But by all indications, with Budmayr under center Wisconsin should be in good hands. Replacing a quarterback that led the team to the Rose Bowl is no easy task, but it seems that the Badgers just may have the perfect man for the job.