Google passes up Madison, chooses Kansas City for 'Google Fiber'

Internet search engine Google announced Wednesday it will implement its new high-speed Internet, Google Fiber, in Kansas City instead of Madison.

Madison applied for Google Fiber installation last year, something Madison city officials hoped would bring in more than 1,000 jobs and $97 million in investments, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

According to Google, more than 1,100 cities applied for the program, which would give users Internet access 100 times faster than what most Americans currently have.

""Our goal was to find a location where we could build efficiently, make an impact on the community and develop relations with local government and community organizations. We found this in Kansas City,"" Google's vice president of access services, Milo Medin, said in Google's Official Blog.

According to Medin, Google will be working intimately with local Kansas City organizations such as the Kauffman Foundation, KCNext and the University of Kansas Medical Center to ""help develop the gigibit applications of the future.""

There is still a chance for Wisconsin communities, however, as Medin said the company will search for ways to bring ultra-high-speed internet service to more cities.