For first time ever, proposed plan could allow legal street drinking at Mifflin Street Block Party

The Majestic Theatre proposed a plan Wednesday that would allow people 21 and older to drink on the street at this year's Mifflin Street Block Party.

The proposed plan would allow those of legal drinking age to obtain special wristbands that would allow them to purchase alcohol from beer vending stations and drink within the event's zone areas, as long as they are wearing wristbands.

""The hope is that by not making beer a taboo item at the block party and allowing it to be drunk openly on the street by those over the age 21, we'll end up with an event much more overt, much more on the street and much more natural flow with the music,"" Majestic owner Scott Leslie said.

The Majestic plans to focus the event on live music to satisfy requests from the city. The theater is not yet officially involved with the planning of the block party, but is negotiating with Madison officials about the event.

Madison Police and Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, have said they want the event to move away from overcrowded house parties that often include underage drinking.

""The idea is to try and bring people out of the backyard and the houses and onto the street checking out live music where we can actually watch them and they can be more visible,"" Leslie said.

The proposed layout plan for the block party includes two stages that organizers believe will pull the crowd back and forth on the street to stretch it out as much as possible. Vendors will be set up on Bassett Street, taking them off of Mifflin Street.

Stations where people can obtain the wristbands will be located in the area around Mifflin Street.

""We are not taking anything away from Mifflin,"" Leslie said. ""If you are over 21 and it's a beautiful day, we don't want to hold back drinking in the event zone.""