City Council hopefuls Maniaci, Stevenson talk UW split

debate: City Council candidate Sam Stevenson stressed his role as a community advocate at debate with incumbent Bridget Maniaci.

Madison Common Council candidates Sam Stevenson and Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, expressed their opposition to UW-Madison's proposed split from the UW System at a debate Wednesday.

Both candidates said such a split would not be wise for the city of Madison or the UW System.

""With regards to the privatization of the university, I think it's really the wrong direction to be taking,"" Stevenson said. ""I think the most significant negative consequence of a split would be the increase in tuition.""

""UW-Madison is a university that has been under a lot of pressure both fiscally and politically,"" Maniaci said. ""That being said, we cannot splinter off, we have to be working together. I personally cannot see the benefit of this split.""

Stevenson said he believes the biggest issue the city will face is recovering from budget shortfalls, while Maniaci said the most critical issue is more neighborhood-focused.

""The most important issue for our neighborhood is what happens on East Washington Avenue,"" Maniaci said. ""With the successful development of East Washington Avenue we will be able to provide tax revenue that can really provide for the city.""

Stevenson is challenging the incumbent Maniaci, who has held the position for the past two years. Maniaci said she was proud of the job she has done as alder for the district.

""I stand by my record and I want to continue serving you,"" she said. ""I want to be here for you, District 2.""

""I think the role of a city alder is an empowered advocate for the community,"" Stevenson said in his closing statement. ""That is the way that I will pursue this position if I am elected.""