Assembly passes auto-insurance bill

Assembly : State Rep. Donna Seidel, D-Wausau, spoke on the auto insurance bill that would roll back minimums established under Doyle.

Assembly passes auto-insurance bill

The state Assembly passed legislation Tuesday that will weaken auto insurance requirements put in place by the Doyle administration.

Assembly Speaker Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon, praised the bill for giving consumers more freedom in deciding their coverage.

""This will also make insurance more affordable for lower and middle income families,"" Fitzgerald said. ""It's really the perfect marriage of consumer choice and responsibility.""

Despite the rollbacks in coverage requirements, it does not get rid of the mandate requiring some level of coverage.

Democrats have criticized the measure as dangerous for consumers, and were able to stall the bill when it was first taken up in early February.

However, state Rep. Robin Vos, R-Burlington, said in a statement ""it's a great day for Wisconsin drivers who were forced to pay as much as 33 percent more in their auto insurance last year.

Vos said this bill is just the first of many to alleviate the financial burden of taxpayers.

The state Senate passed the bill in February with bipartisan support.

The Assembly also took up a resolution proposed by Democrats asking Walker to engage in negotiations with union leaders over the budget repair bill.

""Let's begin negotiations right tomorrow,"" Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca said on the floor. ""Let's not delay any further, because I don't think we can afford to squander any more time in this session on this issue.""

Fitzgerald argued that ""there have been negotiations going on,"" referring to the e-mails between state Sen. Jauch, D-Poplar, and Walker's administration released Tuesday.

The resolution was referred to the Assembly Organization Committee in a 57-37 vote.

Barca also wrote to Walker asking for an open meeting to negotiate. Walker's Chief of Staff  Keith Gilkes wrote back denying the request, saying he is disappointed Barca is ""attempting to negotiate this impasse through the media.""

—Ariel Shapiro