Verveer supports 'Save Mifflin' Facebook event

verveer: Alderman Mike Verveer discussed proposed Mifflin restructuring plans at ASM?s Legislative Affairs Committee meeting Monday.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, spoke about the ""Save Mifflin"" Facebook event that has aroused city-wide attention at the Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Committee meeting Monday.

The Facebook event, which over 4,000 people are currently ""attending,"" aims to create an alternative to constructing an apartment building on the 400 block of West Mifflin Street.

The creators of the event fear the building will set a precedent for the transformation of Mifflin Street from a reasonably-priced area into one most students would not be able to afford.

Verveer said he shares these fears, and thinks it could decrease student housing options by forcing students to live in apartments rather than houses.

""I'd like to do everything I can to preserve the feel of the scale and character of the street,"" Verveer said.

The Madison Planning Commission is scheduled to discuss the future of the 400 block of Mifflin at a meeting Feb. 7.

Verveer said he defended students when a developer insinuated a majority of the students who are ""attending"" the event are only doing so because they think it has to do with the annual block party.

Also at the meeting, Verveer discussed the future of the city's alcohol licensing policy, the Alcohol Licensing Density Ordinance.

The policy, which is set to expire March 5, will likely be extended until June 5 in order for policy makers to determine the best course of action.

Verveer said he would like to see broader requirements for entertainment licenses.

Currently, if a bar has an entertainment license it can allow entrance to anyone older than 18. To get a license, alcohol-serving facilities can do something as simple as hire a DJ.

Verveer said he wants to require these facilities to have more diverse forms of entertainment in order for them to allow people under the age of 21 to enter.