Meet the candidates: Dane Co. Executive

Six candidates will face off in the Tuesday primary to replace Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk. The two who garner the most votes, regardless of party affiliation, will run against each other in the April elections.

Scott McDonell

McDonell, a Democrat, currently serves as the chairman for the Dane County Board of Supervisors and took over as Dane County Executive for the three-week period between the end of Falk's general term and her extended term. He was the first to enter the race and currently has raised the most campaign funds of all the candidates. He has been endorsed by state Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, Dane County Sheriff Dave Mahoney and 18 County Board supervisors.

Joe Parisi

State Rep. Joe Parisi, D-Madison, served as the Dane County Clerk before entering the Assembly in 2004. He says he will focus on job creation and environmental sustainability and will create a Dane County Office of Economic Development.

Eileen Bruskewitz

Dane County Board Supervisor Eileen Bruskewitz, who began serving on the board in 2000, describes herself as business friendly. She was strongly against the proposed high-speed rail line between Madison and Milwaukee, opposes the County buying land for conservation and supports lowering spending. She also opposes the county borrowing to pay for basic services, saying on her website ""families would not borrow to buy an upgrade for their computer and neither should the county.""

Zach Brandon

Brandon, a businessman and former Madison city councilman who served from 2003-2008, says he is the candidate best fit to create jobs. Although he is considered the most moderate of the candidates, he received former Gov. Jim Doyle's endorsement. He proposes creating joint opportunity business zones (JOBZ) and creating an innovation fund. Like Bruskewitz, Brandon is reluctant to purchase land for conservation.

Joe Wineke

Wineke previously served in the state Assembly and as Democratic Party of Wisconsin chair from 2005-2009. Wineke, who points to former U.S. Vice President and Minnesota Senator Hubert Humphrey as his political inspiration, said he wants to protect human services in the county budget. He also says on his website he will focus on the issues of public safety and infrastructure.

Spencer Zimmerman

Zimmerman, who has run five times for the position and lost each time, says on his campaign's Facebook page he wants to abolish the Dane County Executive office. He has not been active for much of the campaign.