Associated Students of Madison elect new diversity chair, discuss term limits for reps

The Associated Students of Madison elected graduate student Tangela Roberts to serve as diversity chair at their meeting Wednesday.

Some members said they were pleased to have seven candidates nominated to fill the role of diversity chair.

The position became available after former chair Martín Uraga resigned because of time commitment issues.

Of the seven candidates, the final four were Roberts, Nyada Baldeh, Jasmine Savoy and Dan Posca.

Representative Jason Smathers said it was important the council elect someone who was not yet a part of ASM so that new perspectives could be incorporated into the organization.

Smathers also said Roberts would be a good leader for Diversity Committee because she is a psychology graduate student and could provide counseling to those in need.

""Quite frankly, this body needs a whole lot of counseling,"" Smathers said of ASM.

Also at the meeting, Representative Carl Fergus, Finance Chair Matthew Beemsterboer, and Student Activity Center Chair Katy Ziebell introduced a change to the

ASM Constitution that would remove the limit on representatives serving in ASM.

Currently, representatives are only allowed to serve on student council for two years. The amendment would remove this limit.

Fergus said this restriction holds students back from electing representatives they think would serve them well if that representative has already served for two years.

""I think it's important for students to vote on whom they so choose,"" Fergus said.

Some members said they would like the amendment to be reconsidered.

The topic will be addressed next Wednesday.

ASM also voted against Chief Justice Kate Fifield's proposal eliminating the requirement of the Chief Justice to attend student council meetings.

Representative Tyler Junger said this bylaw change would be a detriment to the Student Judiciary.

""I do believe that there is some utility in having the Student Judiciary knowing what ASM does,"" Junger said.

Also at the meeting, ASM approved a resolution denouncing the proposed voter ID bill in state Legislature.

The bill, Senate Bill 6, would make voters present a valid Wisconsin identification at polls. The address on that identification would have to match the address that students are voting at. The bill would also eliminate same-day voter registration.

Members of ASM said the bill would inhibit students from voting in Wisconsin elections.

The resolution passed unanimously.