Ald. Eagon endorses Resnick

Eagon: Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, formally announced his endorsement for Scott Resnick in the race for the District 8 spot on the city council Tuesday. Eagon and Resnick are both recent UW-Madison graduates.

Ald. Eagon endorses Resnick

Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, formally announced his endorsement for Scott Resnick, one of three candidates running for the District 8 seat on the Madison Common Council, at Memorial Union Tuesday.

""From issues from alcohol policies to the development process and local safety issues, Scott really understands what's important to the constituents of the eighth district and students at large,"" Eagon said.

State Representative Donna Seidel, the Assistant Minority Leader of the Wisconsin State Assembly, also endorsed Resnick, who interned in her office when he was a student at UW-Madison.

""He understands clearly the importance of staying connected with the communities and being right on target with the people that he will represent … the constituents of the eighth district will be very, very well served by Scott Resnick,"" Seidel said.

Resnick, a recent UW-Madison graduate, now serves as president of the State-Langdon Neighborhood Association and partner at a start-up technology firm. He said he hopes to bring more student issues to the table at Common Council if elected to the District 8 seat.

""Campus safety and really making landlords more accountable for the properties that they manage … those two single things are really the most important things that can be done here on campus,"" Resnick said.

Resnick discussed his plans for initiatives such as installing street lighting on Spring Street and mandating landlords change their buildings' locks when new tenants move in.

""We can make a safer campus just by making these simple changes to our ordinances,"" Resnick said.

The candidate also mentioned economic development initiatives, such as creating a job fair for Madison businesses to connect with graduating seniors.

""We should be looking at how do we partner and make sure that Madison oriented businesses can reach out to graduating seniors who want to stay in the city,"" Resnick said.

Resnick said the student vote will be essential in deciding the election, since District 8 encompasses the majority of the dormitories on campus as well as popular student neighborhoods on Langdon and Johnson Street.

The primary elections for Common Council will take place on Feb. 15.