UW-Madison officials ask for caution near Linden construction

Linden Map: UW Transportation Services has launched a campaign asking students not to walk in the street on Linden Drive. New signs and UWPD officers will facilitate implementation of the campaign.

Would you jump off a bridge because everyone else did? What about walk in the street? It turns out doing both could be dangerous.

UW-Madison officials have launched a campaign asking pedestrians not to walk in the street when avoiding construction of the new School of Human Ecology building on Linden Drive.

On a narrow 24-foot street combined with 10-foot buses, students walk with their backs turned to traffic, which is very dangerous, according to Robert Kennedy, UW Commuter Solutions Manager.

Students who listen to music while walking ""are even more oblivious to what's going on as far as traffic,"" Kennedy said.

Officials want to promote the idea of using the temporary crosswalk near Van Hise.

The main part of the campaign consists of larger, easy-to-read signs reminding students not to walk in the street. The UWPD will be patrolling the crosswalks during passing time to facilitate students' path.

Although it may seem like a minor issue to some, former University of Minnesota student Kandyce Stoffel was hit by a car and killed in October after walking in the street to avoid construction instead of crossing the street on campus.

""This is not just an empty concern, if it did happen up in Minnesota at the university there, it could happen here,"" said Kennedy. ""And obviously if it did, that would be horrible.""