Lay off Jay

Max Sternberg

Lay off Jay

I am as annoyed by Jay Cutler as anyone. I look at him and see a guy who's been blessed with some of the best pure talent of any quarterback in recent memory and yet doesn't seem to care about maximizing that god-given potential. I find him arrogant, cocky, aloof and maybe even selfish.

But not tough? Are you kidding?

Cutler has been a starting NFL quarterback for five seasons now and has taken 138 sacks over that span, not to mention countless more hits. That said, even if he left Sunday's game due to a paper cut, the guy is tough.

My bigger issue is the response several NFL players had to Cutler's injury, expressed primarily through the impersonal medium of Twitter.

These guys, all of whom failed to reach championship weekend themselves, have absolutely no right to comment on another player's toughness, especially from the safety of Twitter.

And it's worth noting that not one of these armchair critics has been in the position of NFL quarterback. Sure, they know how physical the NFL is and have experienced the violence of professional football, but the quarterback position is unique and those who have never experienced it simply don't have a right to criticize those who are faced with its unique pressures and challenges on a daily basis.

That is why its no wonder that while position players like Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew and Derrick Brooks weren't joined in their criticism of the Bears quarterback by a single NFL quarterback. Rather, opposing QBs ranging from Eli Manning to NFC Championship opponent Aaron Rodgers were unwavering in their support for Cutler. Just as with his Bears teammates, those who know how tough the quarterback position truly is were backing Cutler's claim to toughness in no uncertain terms.

Then there is the injury itself. While the online critics blasted Cutler's refusal to ""act hurt,"" the reality of the injury had not yet been determined. It was certainly a mistake of the Bears public relations department not to inform the media of Cutler's injury at halftime, but that is no excuse for the presumptuous responses voiced on Twitter.

When the MCL sprain was revealed Monday, those who had voiced serious criticism of Cutler were stuck trying to back track and justify comments that should never have been made in the first place.

The bottom line is we all need to monitor our temptation to comment indiscriminately online on Twitter or elsewhere. Celebrities certainly have an added responsibility and that's why these players crossed a line with their comments. But it's not just them, it's all of us. I for one was as guilty as anyone and while I did not make my criticisms available for the world, I regret my own presumption of guilt when I saw Cutler standing there on the sidelines.

So he didn't ""look hurt"" with a bum knee in front of a national audience? I'd say his five years and 138 sacks more than make up for it. Jay Cutler, regardless of your opinion of him as a player, doesn't lack toughness.

Did Cutler deserve the heat he took? E-mail Max at max.sternberg@yahoo.com